Both St Katharine's, Knockholt, and St Margaret's, Halstead make beautiful settings in which to get married, and we love to join in you as you celebrate the beginning of a new, married life together.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)...

Can I get married at St Katharine's, Knockholt / St Margaret's, Halstead?

Anyone marrying in the Church of England is required to have a 'qualifying connection'. This means if one of you:

  • has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months, or
  • was baptised (christened) in the parish concerned, or
  • is confirmed and your confirmation was entered in the register of confirmations for a church in the parish (this will usually be the case if you were prepared for confirmation in the parish), or
  • has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months

or if one of your parents, at any time after you were born:

  • has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months, or
  • has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months

or if one of your parents or grandparents:

  • was married in the parish

Then you have a qualifying connection. If you don't have qualifying connection, the easiest one to satisfy is the fourth - we would love to welcome you to any of our services on a regular basis.

Can I get married on [specific date]?

Please let us know dates as soon as possible - we can then pencil them in while legalities and practicalities are worked through.

How much does it cost?

Fees for church wedding services are set nationally, and revised each year in November. To give an indication of cost, in 2018 a wedding service in church would cost £619, made up as follows:

Publication of banns


Banns certificate


Marriage service in church


Organist (local fee)


Verger (local fee)




St Margaret's, Halstead can also provide a choir to sing at the wedding, and flowers for the church, if required (local fees payable). If you are getting married outside the summer at either church, there is also a small local fee for heating the church. Payment must be made, and cleared, three months before the wedding. Once payment has been cleared, banns can start to be read (see below).

How long does it take to plan a wedding?

Banns must be read out in church over three Sundays in the three months before the wedding, but beyond that, there is no 'standard' time for planning.

Couples often say that they are putting off getting married until they can afford their dream wedding. To let you into a (not-so) secret: it is the joy of the day which makes it memorable. The Rector has been to very grand weddings and very modest weddings, and it is the gathering of friends and family and the vows made which make it such a special time.

If you would like some ideas on how to keep the costs of your wedding down, please contact the Benefice Office (

I'm getting married in a different parish, but live in this one. How do I arrange getting banns read?

Please contact Tim via the Benefice Office (

I've been married before - can I still get married in the parish church?

If either of you is divorced, the Rector will need to chat through the situation with you. The Rector has married divorced individuals previously.

What happens next?

The easiest thing to do is to speak to Tim after church on a Sunday morning (see Services), to compare diaries and find a date which works to meet up and discuss your wedding further. Tim meets with couples over three sessions (usually an hour on a Wednesday evening, but could also be done at the weekend) to plan the service, and more importantly, talk about marriage itself. If you are not local, please contact the Benefice Office to arrange a date.  

Updated: July 2019